Idaho Speech-Language Pathologist Licensure Guide - 2024

AKA: Idaho Speech Therapy Licensure

Speech Pathologist Programs

by Speech Pathologist Programs Staff

Updated: March 19th, 2024

If you are looking for a career in the healthcare field where you can make a huge impact on a patient’s life, you should pursue a career in speech-language pathology. You’ll work with patients one-on-one and in groups as you successfully help them overcome speech and communication difficulties.

Your days will be fast-paced and exciting as you work with a variety of communication challenges. Each patient is different and you are encouraged to use your creativity to customize treatment plans for clients. Remaining flexible and adaptable is key to a speech-language pathologist’s (SLPs) role.

Another key component is continuing education as the field continues to evolve. Keeping up with new advancements improves your competencies and allows you to offer your patients top-quality services.

It’s no surprise that this is a licensed occupation since you need specialized education to practice. The road to licensure can be confusing if you don’t know which steps to take. This article will serve as a guide to SLP licensure in Idaho.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), speech-language pathologists in Idaho earned an annual mean wage of $74,060 (Bureau of Labor Statistics - 2022). That means you’ll have the opportunity to make a comfortable living for yourself while enjoying a rewarding career. Keep reading For more information on how to complete the licensure process.

Idaho Speech-Language Pathologist Licensure Process

Idaho’s Division of Occupational and Professional Licenses (IDOPOL) regulates SLP licensees for the Idaho Speech, Hearing and Communication Services Licensure Board. The Board requires licenses to be renewed annually and has set the other rules and regulations SLPs must follow to actively practice in the state.

Education Requirements

The Board requires licensed SLPs to hold at least a master’s degree in speech-language pathology from an accredited institution with a Board-approved curriculum. That means the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) should be the accrediting body for any program you enter. They are responsible for setting the curriculum standards for SLPs throughout the nation. Here you will find listed all Idaho speech pathology degree programs (you will need to use the filter function to list only schools offering master’s programs or higher).

Having a bachelor’s degree in communicative sciences and disorders will give you an advantage over students who obtained a degree in an unrelated discipline. You’ll already have a grasp of the foundational knowledge and methods used in the field.

Those entering a master’s level program with an unrelated degree will need to complete a series of prerequisite courses before beginning the program’s core courses. Those courses may include:

  • Principles of Research in Communication Disorders
  • Augmentative and Alternative Communication
  • Early Language Development and Disorders
  • Speech Sound Disorders
  • Disorders of Swallowing
  • Neuropathologies of Speech
  • Fluency Disorders in Children and Adults

Another huge part of your educational experience is the clinical practice you’ll engage in, which is covered in the next section.

Experience Required

Both a clinical practicum and supervised postgraduate work experience are required for licensure. The clinical practicum is completed as part of your master’s degree program, and a minimum of 350 hours is needed.

Upon graduation, you will begin the postgraduate experience, also known as a clinical fellowship (CF). The CF is a 1,260-hour paid work experience where you’ll engage in direct client contact under the supervision of a licensed and qualified SLP. Complete the hours on a part-time or full-time basis depending on your schedule. Just keep in mind that the Board does not allow the CF to extend past 48 months.

A minimum of 1,010 hours is spent in direct contact with patients. Here are a few examples of what’s accepted as direct contact:

  • Screening
  • Assessment
  • Treatment
  • Writing reports
  • Family/client consultation
  • Family/client counseling

The remaining experience hours can be spent attending in-services or delivering presentations and trainings. Your supervisor is also required to allow you to observe them interact directly with a client onsite for at least six hours every four months. If you have trouble finding a site for this experience, search the license portal for a Board-approved provider.

During the postgraduate experience, you’ll have a first-hand look at what to expect on a daily basis. You’ll work with a wide population of clients that have a variety of disorders. The purpose is to give you as much exposure to different areas in your occupation to improve on the competencies you’ve already developed.

Once the CF is over your supervisor will sign the documents needed to verify the successful completion of the experience. The next step is to take the national exam.

Testing Requirement

A passing score of 162 on the national Praxis Speech-Language Pathology Exam (5331) is required for licensure. The test is made up of 132 multiple-choice questions and is graded on a scale of 100-200. Administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), the test is ASHA-approved.

Registration can be completed online, by phone, or by mail. The registration fee is $146 but, if you register over the phone you will have to pay an additional $35 surcharge. If you need to cancel or reschedule for any reason you’ll need to do so by logging into your Praxis account or calling ETS Customer Service. Find more information about the registration process, fees, and payment policies in The Praxis Tests Information Bulletin.

Prepare for test day with the Praxis exam online resources. You can pay a fee to take a practice test, look over the Study Plan, view videos and webinars on what to expect, and get preparation strategies and tips. Also, ask school faculty members for any useful information they may have available to use as you study.

When you’re ready to schedule your test you can choose to take it at home or a test facility. Testing at home is convenient for most people as they can choose any one of the seven days in the week to take the exam. To take the at-home exam you will need to live in the United States (U.S.), a U.S. territory, or Canada. There are also Equipment and Environment Requirements that must be met.

Test centers include those sponsored by Prometric, universities, and other approved locations. Perform a search on the ETS website to find one near you.

On the day of the test, you’ll need a valid ID otherwise you won’t be able to take the test and your fees will be forfeited. It’s recommended to take two forms of ID just in case one of them is not accepted on its own. Click here to view the general ID requirements.

Your score will be posted to your Praxis account after a few days. An e-mail notification will be sent once it is available. Any institutions you requested to receive the score during the registration process will also get a copy of your results.

Background Checks

All applicants for licensure are required to submit to a fingerprint-based criminal background check. The prints are sent to the Idaho State Police (ISP) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for review. Fingerprints are checked against the ISP Bureau of Criminal Identification database, the FBI criminal database, and the statewide sex offender registry.

To request a fingerprint card, email your mailing address to You can also visit 650 W. State St., Second floor between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday and pick up a card. The fingerprint packet will be sent to you within five business days.

Take the packet to your local police department or sheriff’s office to have your fingerprints rolled. The person taking your fingerprints will then finish filling out the Fingerprint Card Verification Form inside the packet. The nonrefundable processing fee is $28.25.

If you had a background check completed in the prior six months and will be working with students in a public school K-12 setting, submit a Background Investigation Check Form to the State Department of Education instead.

Once received, the background check results will be sent directly to the Board to review as part of your completed application.

Application Process

While completing your post-graduate work experience you will need a provisional permit in order to practice. The application can be found online and downloaded (all applications and forms can be found here). The Board recommends sending the form seven business days before its next scheduled meeting to ensure it will be reviewed and processed at that time. Any applications received after that time window will be held over to review in the next meeting.

Below is a checklist of items needed to obtain the provisional credential. Many of the documents are part of the application packet.

  • A completed notarized application
  • Copy of government-issued photo identification (ID)
  • Supervisor Registration Form signed and notarized
  • Plan for Supervision form signed and notarized
  • Assigned Duties and Preparatory Training Addendum completed
  • Official college transcripts sent directly from the issuing institution
  • Provisional permit fee of $70
  • Application fee of $25

The maximum length of time provisional permits can be held for SLPs is 48 months. Quarterly activity reports are required to be signed by your experience supervisor. Fill out the Speech-Language Provisional Permit application and mail it to:

Idaho Speech, Hearing And Communication Services Licensure Board
Division of Occupational and Professional Licenses
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0063

Once the experience is over, you will need to apply for a permanent license. The documents needed for licensure include a notarized application and the following:

  • Government-issued photo ID
  • Proof of completing the supervised postgraduate experience
  • Official academic transcripts directly sent from the issuing institution
  • Verification of licensure in other states (if applicable)
  • Application fee of $25
  • License fee of $70
  • Praxis Exam score

Send the application packet to the same address listed above for provisional permits.

All fees are non-refundable. Members of the armed forces, spouses of active members or veterans, and honorably discharged veterans are given special benefits like expedited application processing.