What should you look for in Speech Pathology Programs?
If you’re thinking about pursuing a speech-language pathology (SLP) degree, there are a few things you should consider when choosing a program. The following is a list of important criteria that can get you started in you deliberations.
- Accreditation: First and foremost, you’ll want to make sure the program is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA). This means the program meets certain standards of quality and will prepare you for certification and licensure as an SLP.
- Courses and Faculty: Next, take a look at the courses offered and make sure they align with your career goals. You’ll also want to consider the faculty teaching in the program – check out their credentials and experience, and look for professors who are engaged in research and clinical practice in the field of SLP.
- Clinical Practicum: Clinical opportunities are also important to consider. Look for programs that offer a variety of experiences, such as working with different age groups, diverse populations, and in various settings like hospitals, schools, and rehabilitation centers. Hands-on experience is key!
- Location and Cost: Location and cost are also important factors. Think about where the program is located and if it’s a place you’d like to live and work. Make sure the cost of attendance is within your budget.
- Student Services: Lastly, check out the support and resources offered by the program. Look for student support services like tutoring, career services, and mentorship opportunities to help you succeed.
By keeping these things in mind, you’ll be able to make an informed decision about which SLP program is right for you.
Communication Sciences and Disorders Education Guide
Learn more about speech-language pathology (SLP) and communication sciences and disorders (CSD) education as a whole through our SLP/CSD Education Guide. Or if you would like to search SLP programs and schools offering speech pathology programs in your area, select your state from the following page: Speech Pathology Degree Programs by State.