South Dakota Speech-Language Pathologist License Renewal Guide - 2024

AKA: South Dakota Speech Therapist Certification Renewal

Speech Pathologist Programs

by Speech Pathologist Programs Staff

Updated: March 18th, 2024

South Dakota Speech-Language Pathologist Certification Renewal Procedure

You must renew your SLP license in South Dakota every two years on October 1st. Practicing with an expired license is illegal; therefore, it’s important to renew your license before its expiration date to avoid legal issues—failure to renew before the expiration date results in the expiration of your license. Sending a complete renewal application well before the license’s expiration date will give you the best chance to avoid any lapses in licensure that could impact your current employment.

To renew your speech-language pathology license, you have two options. Firstly, you can use the renewal form and pay the renewal fee by check or money order. Alternatively, you can complete the online form and pay the renewal fee online. Regardless of your chosen method, you must prove that you have completed at least 20 contact hours for each two-year renewal period.

When submitting your certification renewal application, you can include the following documentation:

  • Certificate of attendance
  • Unofficial college transcript
  • ASHA CEU transcript

Remember that your license renewal will only be considered complete once the Board thoroughly processes it. This process includes cashing the check and verifying that the application is complete, among other things. The application, essential documents, and a non-refundable fee of $150 payable to South Dakota must be submitted together to renew.

If you fail to renew your license before October 31st, a late fee of $50.00 will be added to your renewal fee for renewal applications. If you fail to renew your license within 180 days after it has expired, you must submit a new application for licensure, along with all the relevant fees. If you have decided not to renew your license, kindly notify the Board promptly by filling out the renewal form in the “I Will Not Be Renewing” section and returning it to the Board’s office.