Michigan Speech-Language Pathologist License Reciprocity Guide - 2024

AKA: Michigan Speech Therapy Renewal

Speech Pathologist Programs

by Speech Pathologist Programs Staff

Updated: March 18th, 2024

Michigan Speech-Language Pathologist License Reciprocity Process

If you are licensed to practice speech-language pathology in another state, you can apply for licensure in Michigan by endorsement. The process allows you to practice as an SLP in the state without retaking the national exam or needing to complete other requirements new licensees would normally have to. Simply provide the following information:

  • Verification of current licensure submitted by the licensing agency directly to the Board
  • Verification of your ASHA or SAC certification; or
    • Final official transcripts with the date the master’s or doctoral degree were conferred. If you attended a non-accredited institution, provide a course-by-course evaluation of your SLP education
    • Request ETS sent your Praxis Exam scores to the Board
    • Provide proof of post-graduate clinical fellowship showing the completion of 1,260 hours of supervised experience

If you’re licensed in a province of Canada and are looking to become licensed in Michigan via endorsement, provide the materials listed above as well as the items listed below:

  • Verification of SLP education in a Canadian province or state sent directly to the Board
  • Verification of licensure from any Canadian province or state you ever held an SLP license
  • Praxis Exam scores

Once the Board has received all of the requested information they will process the information and notify you via email of your licensure status.