Vermont Speech-Language Pathologist License Reciprocity Guide - 2024

AKA: Vermont Speech Therapist Reciprocity

Speech Pathologist Programs

by Speech Pathologist Programs Staff

Updated: March 19th, 2024

Vermont Speech-Language Pathologist License Reciprocity

Vermont doesn’t have licensure reciprocity (Currently planning on joining the SLP/AUD Compact on 7/1/2024). Although there’s a new interstate compact that is forming, Vermont hasn’t passed the legislation to join. However, getting a Vermont license is easy if you’ve already had a license in another state.

There are two forms of licensure for out-of-state practitioners: Licensure by endorsement, and fast-track endorsement.

Licensure by endorsement

You can apply for a license by endorsement if you have your CCC-SLP already, regardless of how long you’ve been practicing.

To get it, you will create an account on OPR’s online application portal.

Navigate to the SLP section, then open an initial license application and fill it out. You will need to include a copy of your ASHA certification (CCC) verification, and include a fee of $100 for the application, and $240 for the license itself.

The other document you need for licensure by endorsement is a verification of your initial state license and the license from your current state of practice (if different). To get these verifications, see the verification form. The form must be returned to Vermont directly by the sending state.

Because you must have verification of licensure sent, applying by endorsement will take longer than an initial application. However, once the Board has everything, your license should process quickly.

Fast track endorsement

If you have three years of verifiable practice experience, you can apply for a license by fast-track endorsement. Essentially, the process substitutes the increased practice experience for the CCC certification. This is significant because it takes less time to get a CCC, since a clinical fellowship can be less than a year and start immediately after graduation.

To apply, you’ll go to the online portal and set up an account.

Then, you’ll fill out the application, with the same fees as the regular endorsement track.

Next, have your current state of licensure send in the verification. You are required to have a license for three years continuously, and be in good standing. Again, the form is sent by your state to Vermont.

In some situations, you may have to pass a jurisprudence exam. The details for this are probably in the application packet, as we were unable to find details.