Connecticut Speech-Language Pathologist License Renewal Guide - 2024

AKA: Connecticut Speech Therapy License Renewal

Speech Pathologist Programs

by Speech Pathologist Programs Staff

Updated: March 19th, 2024

Connecticut Speech-Language Pathologist License Renewal Procedure

SLP licenses are renewed every two years in Connecticut and require a $205 fee. Licensees are required to gain 2 continuing education units (CEUs), or 20 clock hours 24 months preceding the certification’s expiration date. One clock hour of attendance will count as one credit hour.

Earn the CEUs by attending workshops, courses online and in person, and other activities deemed acceptable by ASHA. You can attend activities given by other organizations approved by the Department including the following agencies:

  • National and state speech-language-hearing associations
  • Regional speech-language groups
  • Related professional societies and organizations
  • State and local education agencies
  • Hospitals and other healthcare institutions
  • Accredited colleges and universities

In most other states you can send a request to the Board or Department to review and pre-approve a continuing education (CE) course or specific coursework. That is not the case in Connecticut. The state also doesn’t keep a list of approved CE courses. Therefore, it’s up to you to be diligent in gathering information regarding the activities you wish to participate in for CE. you and the supervisor we’ll have to ensure that the activity meets the requirements outlined in the Connecticut General Statutes.

Renewal applications are completed online, and there is a subsection set aside for you to attest that the CE requirements were completed on time. You are responsible for keeping a copy of your attendance records and certificates of completion for at least three years. Although you’re not required to turn this information over, if you are audited you’ll be expected to produce the documents within 45 days of the audit request.

Keep in mind that if this is your initial license you will be exempt from the continuing education requirement until the following registration period.