New York Speech-Language Pathologist License Reciprocity Guide - 2024

AKA: New York Speech Therapist Reciprocity

Speech Pathologist Programs

by Speech Pathologist Programs Staff

Updated: March 18th, 2024

New York Speech-Language Pathologist License Reciprocity Process

New York is not party to any reciprocity agreements, so you must almost always start from scratch. You can find a description of the process on the Board’s licensure page. Technically, the process is called “licensure by endorsement.”

Perhaps most important is that you must have two years of experience with a full license from your home state before you can apply for licensure by endorsement in New York. Furthermore, you must have a degree that is comparable to the one required in New York State, including subject matter, practicum hours, and accreditation.

Because you already have a license, the bar for licensure by endorsement is a bit higher. Specifically, you’ll need a certificate of clinical competence (CCC) from ASHA. You can get information about certification on the ASHA website. You must have passed the Praxis, and you’ll need to have those scores sent to the Board. Finally, you’ll need to prove that you are in good standing with all current and former licensing authorities, including continuing competence requirements for active license states.

Practically speaking, these requirements mean that only highly-competent and experienced SLPs can obtain their endorsement easily.

However, if you meet all these requirements, the application process is almost the same as for a new license. The fees are the same, and the only major difference is that you’ll have to send in extra forms to verify existing credentials.