Alabama Speech-Language Pathologist License Recprocity Guide - 2024

Speech Pathologist Programs

by Speech Pathologist Programs Staff

Updated: March 18th, 2024

In Alabama, license reciprocity is limited to member states of the Audiology and Speech Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Currently, you can find a map of member states on the ASLP Compact website.

If your state of licensure is on the list, then you can apply for an Alabama license through reciprocity. To do this, fill out the applicants half of the reciprocity form. Then, you will send the form to your home states licensing board. The Board half of the form will be filled out, and they will mail it with a copy of the administrative code for SLPs.

Applicants with licensure from other states will need to fill out an application for a new license, as described above. However, most practitioners will already have a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC), which is also known as an ASHA certification. For them, the shorter application process is usually appropriate.

No matter whether an out-of-state SLP can use the Compact or must apply with a CCC, the process to start practicing in Alabama is relatively easy.